Build and develop a career in the social service industry with Interval House!
For employment inquiries, contact us at email@example.com. For volunteer opportunites please click here.
Current Employment Opportunities
INTERVAL HOUSE has positions available for:
Women's Counsellor Advocate
WOMEN’S COUNSELLOR ADVOCATE (Full-Time)
The Women’s Counsellor Advocate’s overall responsibility is to assist those who seek shelter services to deal with the impact of violence on their lives by providing timely, relevant and responsive client services that are consistent with the mission and mandate of Interval House and appropriate to their needs.
The Women’s Counsellor Advocate’s duties include:
- Responding to the “24 hour” crisis line
- Conducting needs assessment admission intake and/or making appropriate referrals
- Facilitating trauma recovery from abuse & builds client’s capacity to achieve self-sufficiency, through developing case plans, which include:
- supportive counselling and group counselling
- Legal services; public housing applications; financial assistance & planning; immigration and refugee services; health issues; education; and other issues relating to their situation
- Escort to court and/or other legal, immigration or medical related appointments
- Facilitate community resettlement
- Regular evaluation and monitoring to ensure clients’ needs and goals are met and timely delivery
- Complete client discharges according to established procedures
- Record and maintain information in program logs and client files
Note: Some physical activity is required eg. Light to moderate lifting, climbing stairs etc.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Relevant education and/or related experience in programs for violence against women
- Experience in providing informal counselling and advocacy for abused women
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of issues affecting women and children who have experienced abuse and resources to support them.
- Skills and experience in program planning and implementation
- Effective group facilitation and presentation skills
- Excellent communication, negotiation and interpersonal skills
- Ability to build and foster reliable work relationships within a diverse work environment
- Consistent ability to demonstrate professional behavior and respect for boundaries
- Ability to manage conflicts
- Demonstrated administrative skills in database and client case management
- Observation of strict confidentiality
- Capable of managing own emotional difficulties
- Demonstrated skills in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Excel, Access and ability to use client case management database
Please e-mail your resume in confidence to the address below, marking ‘Women's Counsellor Advocate’ in the subject line.
Please include your resume in the body of your e-mail; attachments may not be opened.
Only applicants with the required qualifications and competencies will be contacted.
All successful applicants must undergo a criminal reference check.
Interval demonstrates its commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion and does not condone any form of discrimination and workplace violence.